<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Logic 

We take the following statement to be true in all cases: smoking is bad during pregnancy (I am ignoring the case in which you want to kill your child, so then it's good for you, but you deserve to be hung by fishhooks through your nostrils).

Women, for the sake of their children, give up smoking during pregnancy, if they care at all about their child. I hope. I mean, nicotine supposedly sinks its hooks into people pretty strongly, but I assume the love of a woman for her unborn child is stronger.

Okay then, if women DO actually stop smoking during pregnancy, why is it that I see so often a woman smoking with an infant nearby (in her arms, in a stroller, etc.)? I mean, hey! The kid is now outside, so instead of the filtered bad stuff, he can have the unfiltered worse stuff! It must be like exposing a kid to allergens at a young age so they don't have problems with allergies later in life, right?

I must suppress the urge to go up to these women, grab their cigarette, put it out on their forehead, and state "your kid will thank me when he doesn't get lung cancer". But then I'd be the criminal. What kind of a society is this?
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?